Pages

Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Day 5: Hong Kong Museums x Lantau



One of the things I really liked about Hong Kong is their free admission to museums every Wednesday. You read that right. FREE! Participating museums are Hong Kong Museum of Art, Hong Kong Heritage Museum, Hong Kong Museum of History, Hong Kong Museum of Racing, Hong Kong Space Museum and Dr. Sun Yat-sen Museum.

I wish they'd do the same in Philippines. Not only would it bolster tourists but it would also equip both young and old with knowledge. Philippine's National Museum offers free entry during Sundays and for two years now I think, during the months of May and June.


We went back to East Tsim Sha Tsui. This time, I went back to buy tea from a store we passed by the other day. I bought six tin cans of different tea for HKD50 and four flower tea for HKD20. Comparing the prices to other tea stores, I found this store cheaper especially if you compare it with the Lantau tea store one.


First stop: Hong Kong Science Museum (HKD$25 on regular days)


They have scheduled science shows in English and Mandarin. We just so happen to only catch the Mandarin edition of Liquid Nitrogen because we blended with a group of Chinese kids. Our amazement with the show, I swear, is the same as theirs.

10:30 am, 3:30 pm & 5:30 pm -  Liquid Nitrogen
11:30 pm & 2:30 pm - Transportation
4:30 pm - Molecular Gastronomy

Recently, I've read that The Mind Museum in Philippines have been offering science demonstrations like these but ugh it's so expensive for people who go to private schools. P625 or HKD105 for adults and P475 or HKD80 for those who go to private schools.


Zheng He's Treasure Ship


Don't miss their big exhibit - the Energy Machine!

Operation time: 11:00 am, 1:00 pm, 3:00 pm & 5:00 pm



It's hard to pick which exhibit I liked the most but World of Mirrors and Mirrors of Invisibility got us the most fascinated and the most pictures. You're facing the mirror and what gets reflected is you facing the side or you're not reflected at all... What sorcery is this?!


Regular rate $10


We whizzed past all the exhibits in I think less than an hour. Can you imagine the agony my inner geek and culture enthusiast must be suffering? If I had the time, I would've read every inscription in every exhibit TT__TT


They have recreated houses and events in Hong Kong like the 10-meter high Cheung Chau Bun Festival above. You can observe their culture because they have figures doing their traditions.  


MTR-ing back to Tung Chung.
East TST > Nam Cheong or Lai King > Tung Chung


Straight out of a horror movie


We took our pre-booked Ngong Ping 360 glass bottom cable car ride to foggy Lantau while eating huge servings of food from City Gate Outlet's grocery for only about HKD29 (I split the bill with Belle). 


We had the whole car for ourselves so we were climbing on chairs to camwhore.


Ngong Ping Village will have a lot of stores selling tourist(y) items. Browse and buy on your way out because you have a long walk ahead (I didn't find it that long but it is). I also suggest not to buy because their goods are pricier than when you buy it at The Peak or Ladies' Night Market.


On the way to Tian Tan Buddha and Po Lin Monastery, you will find a lot of sleepy stray(?) dogs. We don't know if it's the weather that's making them sleepy, sedatives or they just naturally are. They don't bark and you can pet them.


The last time I came at Tian Tan Buddha, it was sunny and you could really see Buddha. Foggy weather has its perks too - you won't sweat much the 268 steps. //For some reason, I've always remembered Tian Tan Buddha to be located at Ocean Park wth. 


Inside, they sell your usual Chinese bracelets or stuffs that give you good health, ward off bad spirits, etc. Expensive thoughhh


Po Lin Monastery's highlight for me is the Grand Hall of the Ten Thousand Buddhas (pictures were not allowed). There are five big statues on the center and the walls are lined with little statues of buddha. These were donated/bought for HKD10,000 each. The whole room is GOLD!


Their buildings are so detailed!


We were one of the last ones who rode the cable car because my friend Ja (I think it was her), lost her ticket back. After that, I think we hit the Ladies' Night Market 'til it closed.

// Second to the last of Summer 2015 Hong Kong & Macau series! Still contemplating if I should upload the rest of my summer trip after... //

Day 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6&7

No comments:

Post a Comment