Pages

Saturday, March 14, 2015

Sibonga, Cebu: Monastery of the Holy Eucharist


I've had my fair share of religious places. I thought the Monastery of Transfiguration in Malaybalay, Bukidnon and the Divine Mercy Shrine in El Salvador, Cagayan de Oro (tallest in the world!) was as good as it's gonna get in the Philippines. Boy, was I proven wrong when I saw this shrine in Cebu.

In our "true" itinerary that I've made, not considering the time constraint, I've actually planned to visit all these little towns like Barili, Carcar, Badian, etc. Upon realizing the physically impossible feat of doing all that in under 5 days plus a probable side tour to Bohol/Dumaguete, we decided to just stick with one place outside the city proper (It takes around 4-5 hours travelling TO one of the places in our list that is outside the city proper).

For this day, we only planned for Oslob but as we were getting back to the main city, my friends decided that we should push one more place in our list. We only knew the name of the place and not how to get there but nevertheless, we hopped off the bus as it approached Sibonga (ride the bus from South Bus Terminal if you're coming from the city proper).

Where the bus passes by or drops you off is pretty much their town proper already. We asked for directions and we were advised to take a habal-habal (motorcycle) to the place. I think fare should not exceed P100/person unless you are being conned. From the town to the shrine takes more than 10 minutes if I remember correctly because you are going to apparently really get dropped off on top of the mountain!


I suggest you wear appropriate clothes - no short shorts or sleeveless. Do not follow my example or you would have to make-shift your jacket into a skirt.

Also, the Shrine closes at 6pm. Sadly we arrived with only 30 minutes to spare so we had to speed tour the area - a great disrespect for such a solemn place if you ask me.


When I saw this view, I thought I was witnessing the construction of a castle or a Disneyland on top of the mountains because of the throngs of families in the place. Big? Massive? Humongous? I can't think of a bigger word to describe it.


See my hand in the last picture? I got some photos from Atsi Hanna

My friend has been here way back and as you can see, construction is still on-going and I believe will be for quite some time as only donations are used for its construction (?).


The Monastery of the Holy Eucharist or as the locals call it, Birhen ng Simala, is run by Marian Monks (Marist here!). Devout Catholics often go on a pilgrimage here (non-catholics are also welcome).

Replica of the Virgin Mary on top of the altar

The inside of the monastery is so solemn. You have to actually take off your shoes in order to get in to some parts of the area especially when you want to see the miraculous statue of the Virgin Mary. I did not take a picture of the Virgin Mary as I felt like it was too intrusive and disrespectful for the place.


They have this hallway full of big cabinets that hold letters and other things testifying the greatness of the Lady. There's also a wall for the history of the shrine which is pretty interesting especially since you get to read the miracles and the prophesies the Virgin Mary has done.


They also have this hallway which showcases Mary's statues dressed according to her title (there was even a statue dressed in qipao).

You could offer prayers (candle colors based on what you are praying for) or have anything religious blessed. I got my grandma a rosary bracelet in her birth month color.

The makers have certainly outdone themselves. The place itself is architecturally impressive but the faith of those who go there are much more. You could truly see the sincerity of the devout.

//I was struggling with the settings in low light so most of the pictures inside and outside (We arrived around 5:30pm) the Shrine is blurry. Please forgive this noob photo taker.

No comments:

Post a Comment