Pages

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Cebu City

Because I wear skimpy clothing, I had to make-shift a cardigan to look decent.

Cebu City, Philippines

I thought the unexpected travel plans would not push through as a few days before our flight, typhoon Ruby fell. Then, I would've missed the chance to move out of my comfort zone and fail to try travelling somewhere far, alone.

Supposedly, this post was due last year - still can't believe it's only been a year since I've been here - along with my Leyte post but I got lazy.

This post focuses on sites within the main city aka the usual tourist spots. I added a few not so usual sites because I'm a fan of good architecture and history. Might put up a part 2 for the places I wasn't able to visit because of the lack of time when I go back to Cebu again.

First time flying with AirAsia and I must say, it was okay.

Fujifilm X-A1. SM City Cebu miniature winter wonderland (which are totally awesome! I wish they'd sell them).

I had to impulsively purchase a camera in Cebu for our trip because the one I wanted needs at least 10 days to get delivered // Goodbye savings // I wanted to get it next year so that I could let my money grow for awhile but unexpected travel plans happened. I also had to shell out my own cash cum savings to support my travels. As of the moment, I am almost broke and needs to save a lot for my pocket money for when I go outside the country for summer vacation with friends.

Suffer and crave for Cebu's lechon just as I have as I edit pictures. Based on my research, the top places to eat Cebu's specialty would be from CnT Lechon, Zubuchon and Cebu's Original Lechon Belly.


CnT Lechon

This was by far the most recommended by locals. Their lechon tastes better than Zubuchon but I didn't really find it anything special. I've tasted far better lechons in my opinion.


Zubuchon

Not "the best pig ever" but I'll give them a point for having such a cutie waiter (hence my smile in the lower left picture and the fangirling). I badly wanted to try the lechon sisig but Zubuchon is expensive and we had to economize. Reviews were right though, their Biko (mostly the sauce) really was the best!

We weren't able to eat at Cebu's Original Lechon Belly because of money constraints but the good thing about it is that it's available in Luzon so maybe I'd get to eat there some time.


Basilica Minore del Sto. Niño

You have to dress properly when you visit here - no short shorts or sleeveless. I learned that first hand. Or you can try to cover up with a shawl or a makeshift jacket in my case.

The old churches/historic sites in the main city all seem to currently be in repair due to the recent earthquake that happened. I was so lucky I was able to see the sites before they were damaged (2013).


Magellan's Cross

The first wedding we gate crashed for a photo.

Cebu Metropolitan Cathedral & Museum

The museum is a different building from the cathedral. Facing the cathedral, it's to the right (it looks like an ancestral house. It's hard to miss). Catholic historic relics and souvenirs could be found there. We didn't bother going in because in my opinion, the entrance fee was quite expensive for the exhibit.

//I love this cathedral! It gives off Santorini feels.


Fort San Pedro

The museum here is really interesting. You get to read and see how Cebu evolved from Sugbu to one of the fast growing cities in the country. When you read the history, you'll find that the same families that held the power in Cebu back then are the same families that holds it now - like the Ramas who (if I remember correctly) was the first mayor.

Basilica Minore, Magellan's Cross, Cebu Metropolitan Cathedral & Museum and Fort San Pedro are at a walking distance so if you're not to picky, this could be a good cardio. Plus you get to save money.


Top photo is Ayala Center Cebu which is by far the prettiest mall I've been to in the country, the bottom two from Fuente Osmeña Circle.

While at Ayala, we heard Michael Bolton-inspired singer Roland "Bunot" Abante sing. Talk about luck!


Chika-an sa Cebu

A Cebuano local restaurant with the best tasting Sizzling Squid A La Pobre sauce and so-so baked scallops. It's quite expensive but you get good food so the price is justified.



University of San Carlos

So amazed that they actually give out plastic gloves. Sosyal lol.

Learned how to make 'puso' (rice is placed inside, cooked then served like that)

Larsian 

A compound lined with stalls and stalls of cheap BBQ. This place is quite popular with the locals.

We also hanged out at the I.T Park which is the business hub of Cebu, much like the Makati of Manila.

Cebu City is definitely one of the places in the country where I would want to settle down in the future. It breeds just the right amount of rural and urban. Plus I've always loved the language. My Tagalog friend would oppose though. She found the catcalls and the frequent 'psst' offensive.

//Will definitely go back to Cebu again (I'll be a licensed diver by then) and go to the places I've listed but never got to go to because of the lack of time and money. 

No comments:

Post a Comment