Pages

Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Oslob, Cebu


 

Oslob, Cebu

When people say 'Oslob', undoubtedly the knowledgeable ones would immediately think of whale sharks. And yes, I must say that this trip wouldn't be complete without whale shark swimming but at the same time, I would say that there is more to Oslob than whale sharks.


The view going to Oslob was especially spectacular. I passed by twice. The second time was when I was going to Lilo-an to get to Dumaguete (this would be for another post). 

You'd get to pass by A LOT of old churches - I badly wanted to get off the bus - and the cliff views of the sea left me speechless. I imagine the Mediterranean would be as beautiful.


First stop was my Atsi Hanna's (the other chinky-eyed) bucketlist and pretty much main reason for going to Cebu: Whale Sharks

I forgot the name of the resort where we went to but rest assured, all the resorts offer whale shark interaction for the same rate as regulated by the local government. Also, go to Oslob early as whale shark watching lasts 'til 12nn only.

As of December 2014 rates:

Watching - P300
Snorkeling - P500
Diving - P600

(Rates for foreigners are higher I think)


Piece of advice: Learn how to swim or you'd miss a lot (or so says the hopeless swimmer)

I was scared that the whale sharks would bite a chunk of me despite of being scrawny but that was just me being paranoid. They're so chill. They just swim around the bangkas, baited by food obviously, and pretty much fattens themselves up. They're endangered (Oslob currently have about 5-7 whale sharks) so touching is not allowed but I got to touch two of them accidentally. Slimyyy.


The original plan was to go to Sumilon Island after and avail the P1500 package but the night before, we realized we were running low on the chis. //That's why I'm definitely going back and visit Sumilon


We ate at a karenderya for lunch. I spent around P50 (Travelling on a budget 101). Then hired a habal-habal to take us around other sites in Oslob.



Quite a long and steep walk before you reach the Tumalog Falls. I was feeling so paranoid that I'd topple over and roll all the way down. I practically grew up in mountains and it was that steep for me.


I didn't dare take a dip because I'm a goat and goats hate the cold. No matter how enticing. No matter how it's the most beautiful falls I've ever been to. The goat in me will not yield.

//I wasn't able to upload an attempted full shot of the falls, because my OC was kicking when I tried to mix a portrait with all the landscape shots. There are also other falls (and a cold spring) in the area that we weren't able to visit.


Cuartel

Forced my friends to visit the historic sites because the History Geek made the itinerary lol. Also sucks that even the locals wouldn't recommend, more like quite hesistant, to visit the historic sites (WHY?!). 


You could also visit Oslob Museum at the back for free and enjoy the picturesque park. 


Nuestra Señora de la Immaculada Concepcion Church

The town was having their fiesta when we went there hence the banderitas


Baluarte

Oslob is around 4 hours from Cebu City proper. It was late when I realized it but I guess it's better to visit Oslob as you make your way to Lilo-an to Dumaguete. 

//Gawd, do I suck at travel blogging. 

2 comments:

  1. Amazing! This is so good to read about the whale sharks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you are a true nature enthusiast or a fan of underwater marvels, experiencing a whale shark encounter in Oslob, Cebu is an absolute must for your bucket list. As a proud Cebuano, the opportunity to swim alongside these gentle giants, known locally as "butanding," is a truly magical and awe-inspiring experience that you won't soon forget. The crystal-clear waters of Oslob provide the perfect setting for this encounter, allowing you to witness these magnificent creatures up close in their natural habitat. Don't miss out on this incredible chance to connect with nature and create lasting memories that will stay with you long after you leave the shores of Cebu. Plan your visit now and prepare to be amazed by the beauty of the whale sharks in Oslob.

    ReplyDelete