Pages

Sunday, January 18, 2015

A hurdle and three steps


I couldn’t believe it! I was a hurdle and three steps away from one of the most influential person in the world.

I felt like Robert Langdon constricted in a mass of limbs with nowhere to go but forward. I have never seen España like this - throngs of people after another. If I had witnessed EDSA Revolution, I imagine it would be like this. I hated it. I hated crowds in general. I could not fathom the hustle, offensive shoves and the scarce breathable air. But I stood my ground in that chaos for 3 straight hours. 

One by one, someone beside me or just a little bit ahead started to faint. I felt sick too. I was ready to give up. And just as I did, I found a way in. I was one step closer. My university was filled. Every barricade side was occupied. With no choice of being picky, I sat beside the walkway for 6 hours - putting up with the casual kick of shoes and stomaching the awful smell of the portalets.

Slowly, I was thrust to the front as Pope Francis drew near. This was it. This was the man I’d so often read in my favourite Dan Brown and geeky history books. The man who holds probably the world’s greatest secrets. The man I had asked God, to at least let me get a glimpse just the other night. And I got more than that. He was almost within my reach… just a hurdle and three more steps and I’d be by his side. Just a hurdle and three more steps and I could say, “Thank you for giving hope to people despite today’s twisted ways”.

No comments:

Post a Comment