Pages

Wednesday, April 5, 2023

Finding Happiness In Traveling

 

Depression isn’t always feeling deep sadness. Sometimes it’s watching urself lose interest in everything you love and not being able to do anything about it.


Today I came across this tweet on Twitter that brought back memories of my struggles from years ago.

When I was in elementary school, my parents used to travel a lot with me, but as I grew up, they got busy with life. I understood that our expenses were increasing and my parents had to make a living, but by the end of elementary school until I was in high school, we didn't have any family vacations. I remember feeling left out when my classmates would talk about the places they visited during summer break. This drove me to always dream about travelling.

When I started college, I began to realize that dream. I moved to a big city and had a larger allowance. I saved everything I could for my travel fund, and sometimes I received extra money from relatives, which I also put into the fund.

College was stressful for me; I went to school seven days a week. However, the only thing that kept me going was the thought of travelling. On holidays or days when I wasn't too tired, I would go to Escolta or Binondo and walk as far as my feet would take me. I wasn't looking for anything specific, but I was living my dream, and that made me happy.

By 2018, I was feeling lost and demotivated. Happiness seemed fleeting, so I flew to Taiwan with my friends for a week, hoping to feel happy and start anew.


On my first day in Taiwan, I cried on top of a bridge in the middle of nowhere. I remember screaming that I wouldn't cry again and that I would find my happiness. I was overwhelmed and scared because I couldn't feel anything. Although things that used to make me happy still made me smile, the feeling of happiness wasn't there; I was numb. I wondered how I could continue with life without that push.

I had hoped that my trip to Taiwan would be like Eat, Pray, Love, where I would find enlightenment and figure out what was wrong with me. However, I was still numb after the trip, and for a while, I regretted going. I continued to cry a lot after the trip, and my life continued to spiral downward. It took almost two years for happiness to slowly creep back into my life, but I am grateful that it did.

I plan to go back to Taiwan this year for the New Year's, but this time, I'm not seeking happiness; I'm bringing happiness with me. :)




No comments:

Post a Comment