Pages

Saturday, August 11, 2012

Twisted turns of Life



There was this old woman I pass by almost everyday. I didn't know much about her except that she lives right next to our house and she was an occasional companion of my grandma.

...And I guess it's a little too late to know her. She died on the first day of the month I was born, exactly 17 days before my birth date. She was buried today.

Every time I'd meet her on my way to the market or during her occasional visits to my grandma, she'd always greet me with a smile. I would too. But there would always be times when she was walking ahead of me and I had to pass her. I don't think I've ever greeted her during those times. I never greeted her because I find it awkward and I didn't know how to address her. Instead, I would continue walking ahead, not looking back at least once.

More than a week after her death, not once did I dared to pay my respect. I kept thinking that I didn't know her so why bother. Yesterday, however, was her last day of "haya"and my parents asked me if I wanted to go next door to pay my respects. I decided to go there not because I really wanted to but because I had nothing else to do.

Like most traditional Filipino funeral, their place was swamped with people - who I wonder came because they really cared about her or were there just so they can have free food. It's sad but it's also the truth that there really are people who goes to funerals for the latter reason. Whilst my stay there, I kept staring at her coffin. When my dad asked me if I wanted to see her, I shook my head. I wanted to preserve the memory of her living life to the fullest. I prefer to remember her as she walks to the same direction as me, as she asks if my grandma was home and as she smiles at me in recognition.

I learned a lot in the two hours that I stayed in her presence. First was, my walk home will never be the same again. I will never see her going the same direction as me. Second, I will never see the same smile again as she stops on her way just to acknowledge my presence. Third, life is full of twisted turns. Everything catches you where you least expect them to. And lastly, I regret that I never got to know her story.

You will forever be remembered.
May your soul rest in peace, Laura Morallon.

No comments:

Post a Comment