Pages

Tuesday, June 27, 2023

Gap years & mid-30s

 


I've been traveling for 6 months now, and I have met so many interesting people along the way. I've noticed that the demographic of those who travel to far-flung places usually consists of European college students taking a gap year or people in their mid-30s who are seeking to find the missing piece in their lives. 

 I've always thought that by the mid-30s, you would generally be "stable." But I guess not. My experiences, talking with people, have taught me that maybe it's during this time in your life that there'll be a major upheaval. One day, they wake up and realize that they've had enough of work, they're unhappy with their family, or they're not happy where they live. So they leave behind everything that was considered "stable," and drift, traveling with no concrete plans of what to do or where to go until the next day. 

 It must be so scary to just leave one day with barely any concrete plans, but I also think it's a necessary process. And I hope that one day, if it happens to me or you, we'll allow ourselves to feel whatever comes up during the process, have the courage, and maintain the hope that we'll find what we're looking for. 

No comments:

Post a Comment